The Travelling Nutmeg: Music March at the Regent

I'm broad, I'm broader than Broadway. Cue that Barrington Levy. Regent I am here!


This lovely little theater on Broadway Avenue is home to all the art performances in Palmerston North. From plays to symphonies and cover artistes to Grammy Award winning choirs, there is something for every creative expression.

Music is one of my love languages so I could not be happier for the line up this month. Even Tina Turner, well a Tina Turner artiste was scheduled to perform. But Proud Mary had to make way for Mrs. Rona. So let's start with what event actually happened. 

Goldberg Variations 


In honour of the 250th anniversary of Beethoven's birth years the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra hosted a weekend of classical performances and workshops - Goldberg Variations and Realising Beethoven.

I heard about this particular performance only two days before the actual show and fortunately it wasn't sold out. I got my choice of prime seating; up close and personal but not too central to have all my personal space infringed upon. Yet somehow the one person who happen to be seated next to me asked me to put away my phone...during the intermission. But I digress.


The history behind the piece was not only fitting but true. As it goes, an Italian count once suffered from insomnia and hired a musician by the name of Goldberg to perform for him. Classic Saul and David without the death threats. As much as such a personal gig was good for the pocket, the same could not be said for Goldberg's mental health as he often played throughout the night into earlier dawn. After some time without success, Bach was consulted to compose a piece that would induce crib like sleep and came up with the Goldberg Variations.


It is delicate yet rich, each movement carrying a character of its own. Each musician held their own with deft precision while making it look easy. It was with the same ease that I enjoyed every instrument's individual voice. The harpsichord was harnessed by a master player whose fingers sung each note with fiery delight. And the harp was played with a wisdom and talent that was much appreciated in its very few appearances.

Surprisingly, even amidst my excitement I did drift off to sleep from time to time. Actually a couple of us did. That's how I knew it had nothing to do with those late study nights. Bach composed the cure and now I have the remedy for any sleeplessness that don't involve innocent lambs.

Soweto Gospel Choir

With this concert however, I was praying to get a ticket in time. We are talking about a 3x Grammy Award Winning Choir. What I did not see coming was New Zealand closing their borders the very Sunday they were scheduled to arrive. And that goes for all other international artistes. This feels worse than when Elton John fell ill before his Auckland performance but it was obviously for the best. Who knows, maybe when this is all over, we will Kumbaya together. Right now what the world needs is a reason to hope again. And music is always guaranteed to do that.


**Update**

The New Zealand Symphony Orchestra has launched an Engage @ Home series to make up for all the cancelled events on their national tour. It starts off this March 25th, 2020 with an encore performance of...Goldberg's Variations. Simply click here to play audience from the comfort of home. They will also post the replay on their youtube page. Thank you to all the musicians helping us to endure these challenging times.

0 comments