Lockdown Chronicles: The Art of Smoothie Making

Nothing like a pandemic inspired lockdown to cause long dormant creative juices to bubble. Next on the chopping block. I'm not a smoothie connoisseur but I love to learn the basics of any dish I enjoy. With an absence in tropical fruit, I've had to figure out tasty ratio and ingredient hacks to replicate the flavours I desire. And trust me, I had the time.

Yes my smoothies have their own bottle

I'll keep what I've figured out brief. For a 700ml bottle filled with smoothie:
  • Aim for 3 cups of fruit, less if it contains lots of water. 
  • If you are looking for fiber, adding in a half cup of almonds, oats and flaxseed. 
  • Don't be afraid to add water but make sure to add it less and dilute to the desired consistency.
  • Spices such as cinnamon, cardamom and vanilla are the secrets to next level flavour blends.
  • If you are not working with a high speed blender, blend in stages.
Basic Method:

1. Measure out all ingredients for easy addition.
2. Blend the dry ingredients first including dried spices.
3. Add milk or yogurt and blend.
3. Add cubed fruit, slightly softened if previously frozen to the milk mixture.
4. Add vanilla or any essence/extract.
5. Add water or ice as desired. 

For specific, foolproof recipes, see below:

0 comments