My Spicy Grenadian Christmas Part 3

Since all wishes come in three.....it's fair enough that this article comes to an end here. I would've have loved to have my list fulfilled but the truth is most of my local foods are not found here on the Mainland. The final segment features Sweet Potato Pudding. Interestingly, I never knew that sweet potato could be other colours besides grey until I got here (island girl meets world). For me, sweet potato was just another one of our 'provisions' that provided starch for a  meal but research revealed that sweet potato is worth so much more.

Sweet Potato (Ipomoea batatas) is only related to Irish Potato in name. Botanically, they belong to different families and whereas the first is a root tuber, the latter is a swollen stem. They come in a variety of colours, from grayish white, light yellow, rich orange to deep indigo. Compared to other starch providers such as rice, corn, cassava, potato, yam and plantain, sweet potato really stands out at a source of nutrition. Its fat content is negligible, and although high in sugars, it is very low in carbohydrates/starches which are harder for the body to break down. It is also very rich in minerals and vitamins. Actually, that's an understatement. The amounts of Vitamin A and C and beta-carotene found in sweet potato not only exceeds its starch rivals but even that of vegetables such as carrots. 

I spotted my first Chinese sweet p on the streets of Shanghai in the winter of 2010. The roasted beauties were a welcomed warmth to the biting cold. Not. Gotta be honest, the black dusty potatoes roasted in a 'from who knows where' oil pan with similarly attired sellers was NOT appealing. However, if it's anything like roasted breadfruit, then I am sure I can find an ounce of regret somewhere inside of me. I also understand that the Indians use it for sustenance during fasting periods and the Pacific Islanders depend on it like Chinese live on rice. In the Caribbean and Central/South America, where it is originated, sweet potato can be used as the main course or dessert. Specifically around Christmas time, the rich aroma of sweet potato and coconut is sure to give ham competition. I can't say that by the time it enters the pudding it still contains all its vits and mins but it definitely taste good and that's all that matters this time of year.

So that's all for the Christmas series...I am going to have me a very satiated one hope you do to..Ooh and check the pudding recipe below to experience the yumminess I did when I ate it.



Sun-shiny Sweet Potato Pudding 


1 comments

  1. now this i would love to get my hands on like yesterday. Its one of my personal favorites. i think it would be so interesting to see how it comes out with the other variation of sweet potatos

    ReplyDelete