10 random differences between New Zealand and Grenada

Flags at Te Papa, the National Museum

Disclaimer: The differences identified in this post may not hold true for all of New Zealand but Palmerston North was way too long and a bit too unknown for a place in the title.


1. The Humidity or lack thereof




Many naturalists pray for a good hair day. I pray for good weather.  No rain when I have a twist out, no wind with a flat lay.You know, very simple requests. So obviously when moving to NZ, I did some research on Palmy and made the necessary preparations. But this particular latitude is known for more of a "four season day" as opposed to a "four season climate". As a result my flat lays don't frizz which is amazing but my twist outs don't hold a curl either. Talk about identity crisis! Currently in the process of choosing a new go-to hairstyle.


2. Ice cream is mad cheap



The top export in New Zealand is the dairy industry so this should come as no surprise. A cone like this can cost as little as $1.00 NZD ($0.60 USD).  and a 1 L tub comes to about $5.00 NZD ($3.00 USD). Hokey Pokey is the second most popular flavour, the first being vanilla which is the basis of this ice cream. Then they add dots of honeycomb toffee! And the best part is no one really knows how it all started. Throw Manuka in there and I'm officially in the land flowing with milk and honey. Thank goodness the gym is cheap too.

Boysenberry ice cream with a layer of Hokey Pokey below.
Because we always save the best for last.
In all seriousness though, not all dairy products are ridiculously priced. Ice cream has the advantage of being prepared with fresh cream. So it's affordable and tasty. Neck for neck, NZ is actually up there for highest consumers of ice cream in the world. But when it comes to cheese and butter, the items that really make NZ famous, there's stiff market competition that causes slight inflation in the locale. What can I say, you win some, you lose some.


3. Land of the Māori

Maori for an elderly Maori woman, especially a female relative or ancestor. 
Not sure why she would want a coke though.

One of the most beautiful lessons I have learnt since coming here is that New Zealand or Aotearoa belongs to the Maori. Since they put all the bad blood behind them in 1840, they have gone to great lengths of repatriation and integration here to return the respect that is due onto them. Many places carry Maori names and at public events, the tribe of that district is honored before any other words are spoken. I chose this coke thinking it was probably the closest I would come to finding my name on a can before Google straightened me out real quick. New Zealand has certainly set a tone that some countries could try dancing to.

4. Sanitary Humour 


I am used to warning signs in red, awkward symbolism and different translations about how not to create a toilet nightmare. But in Palmy I can always be assured of some slightly inappropriate washroom humour. Now I often look forward to those friendly reminders. Beware graphic scenes ahead.

Please don't try number #11 in the bathroom



5. Smile and wave boys!



There is an awesome technology here called payWave which allows you to wave your card over the POS machine for purchases less than $80.00. It's time efficient and spend drift indulgent all at the same time. For instance take this vending machine. I don't even have to dig in my bag for coins and ensure that they are the correct shape. The only reason I don't spend a lot of money here is because I'm not familiar many of the snack brands....yet.

6. Fish is the New Chicken


Fush n Chups
Well not that new really if you consider that it started in England first. This is a very popular meal here especially if you are headed to the beach. The fries are usually called Hot Chips and a nice, chunky partner to well battered fish. Portions are quite liberal too so don't feel bad if your leftovers become breakfast.

7. Gourmet Fast Food




Eating fast food doesn't feel like a sinful pleasure. Sure it's still junk but how could I say no to Chicken Pesto or Smashed Falafel at Subway. Or Aioli Bacon at KFC. Or Spicy(ish) Jalapeno Fries from Burger King. The guilt factor is almost totally erased once those flavours hit my mouth. The coupons we got at orientation don't make it easier to say no either. Welp!


8. No Skinny Dipping Here



When I was invited to the beach this was not what I imagined but a meeting time of 7pm should've clued me in. It was definitely a whole different vibe. Very cold (I know, I know it's Summer), ocean long way from the shore with a shallow bandwidth to kick the the toes around. And I loved it! Having a cloud scattering sunset may have helped distract me from the fact that there were no coconut trees. But as a beach bum all it really takes is sand and water to make me happy.


9. What does BBQ really mean?

When it comes to attending parties with this title I have learnt to remove all expectations. Because BBQ has so many different interpretations. After all it's really just the name of a cooking technique. Some days it's sausages. Other days...burgers. But it's mainly sausages served in a slice of sandwich loaf bread. I've yet to come across a chicken leg or sweet sticky hunk of pork. But I'm a recovering vegetarian so I shouldn't make this an issue. Right?!

10. ThursYAY?!

Finally, what better way to celebrate the weekend by starting on....Thursday? Apparently, this is pay day and therefore, the day all stores open beyond their usual 5pm (Yes 5pm. We shall discuss in another post). It's also the perfect night for clubbing and bar crawls. Like how do you wake up for work the next day? I've yet to try.


This list was actually very fun to compile because the first things that catch our attention are cultural differences. Would you prefer to hear some of our similarities? Let me know and also share your favorite difference with me in the comment section below! Also enjoy this bonus:



0 comments