Bite me: 山东杂粮煎饼 Shandong Multigrain Pancake

Heading back to the streets, I bring you le pancake. First let's take a glance at Shandong, one of the coastal provinces of China. With Korea and Japan as neighbours, the city maintains quite an economic presence but is obviously also well known in the cuisine department. How else would I taste a Shandong pancake in Shanghai, Hubei, Chongqing and Guangzhou....made by non-Shandongnians. So you know, somewhere on my 'Things to taste before I'm kicked out of China' list is a 100 % genuine Shandong pancake.

Starting with a multi-grain batter (杂粮),the skilled master spreads it unto a heated plate. This is joined by an egg and some chives which are heated just right to finish the race together.

It's time to fill 'er up
Now for the inside. Standard filling is meat sauce, pickled veggies, cilantro, lettuce and bumpy biscuit ( I'm pretty sure that's not the name).  Optional fillings are meat floss (肉松), pork or corn sausage and if you are in Chongqing, surely some pepper flakes.

Then it's cut in half and bagged. It's always prepared fresh because it should be eaten hot. Wish I could send you guys one because it's sooo good.  In the meantime, I'll eat as many as I can for you. Farewell till next post.

0 comments