Mommy taught me: Fried Rice

One beautiful week in September, Ochro appeared in the supermarket. Mind you, I hated this vegetable at home, but when you're thousands of miles away from the people and things you love, all of that goes out the window. I immediately hauled a bag and raced home to prepare it. Problem was, since I didn't eat it that much, I didn't know where to start. So I did what any hungry person would do; I got creative or as Tim Gunn would say: Made it work. Here's a fried rice that takes Caribbean seasonings and local ingredients for the perfect blend of two homes in one.


Island Chao Fan (fried rice)

2 cups cooked rice, cooled (I usually flavor with rosemary and garlic)
1/4 cup carrot, diced
1/4 cup ochro, thinely sliced
1/4 cup tofu gan, diced
Chopped onion
Chopped green peppers
Dash of cumin
Black pepper and salt to taste
Favorite oil

1. Pour about 2 tsp of oil in the heated pan. Add seasonings and saute for about 30 seconds.

2. Add vegetables and tofu and stir constantly until cooked. When the ochro begins drying up is a good sign.

3. Add rice and mix together with vegetables.  When thoroughly cooked, serve with your favorite side dish.



0 comments