Have yourself a Welly little Christmas

After living in a country that held exams on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, I've been apprehensive to celebrate Christmas out of the Caribbean. But I have to admit to you all that New Zealand has yet to disappoint. A Kiwi Christmas is quite the celebration, starting with a Kiwi Christmas Tree, complete with jandals, sunglasses and wingless angel at the top.



In Palmerston North, we enjoyed the Christmas Parade featuring social clubs from all throughout the Manawatu region; including a Brazil samba posse and a Bethlehem float. The whole community came out to support, the kids especially to catch flying candy which reminded me of Halloween repackaged. There was even a mobile snow rink to stimulate a winter wonderland.




It may be a summery Christmas for most of us, but Wellington was yet to get the message. I spent most of my time there covered up in down jackets and the warm voices of Wellington singers. As I walked into the lobby, I heard perfect minor harmonies for "Mary, Did you know?" causing my eyes to instantly well up. For the next 30 minutes I listened each rendition beautifully echoed through the acoustics of Wellington Central State. TakeNote may be a group of volunteer singers, but they sing with all the passion and effort of a very real choir. 



The following night was with a performance of Handel Messiah. I wasn't aware of this concert until I checked my Facebook feed in the city and saw the ad. Thanks Zuckerberg. Being here was a no brainer, even though that ticket costed a pretty penny. As an old choir head, I know Hallelujah note for note. But hearing the entire concerto was a new experience for me and actually quite emotional.




Dinner with friends is wonderful. But dinner with family is an absolute necessity. My new family welcomed me for the weekend with a traditional Swedish meal on the 3rd night of Hanukkah. These are the kindest folks that I have ever met and I have a feeling that this dinner is the beginning of a lifelong relationship.


The real reason that I visited Wellington, however, was to attend a cricket match - West Indies vs New Zealand. Before you say anything, yes they lost and it was sorrowful. Actually, it was a record breaking win for New Zealand. But I didn't have high expectations. What I did not anticipate was the feeling of losing amidst thousands of Kiwis. It's a different level of embarrassing when you don't have a bucket to drum or a big cooler to hide behind.


Sure people drink there, but the most that happens is that they wear dresses. Additionally, most persons came with their family and hit the field during lunch for a couple catches. We made the most of it but not sure I'll be headed to another test match soon.


In the city, there was a whole different turn up. I was already shook by the many restaurants that were still open. Palmy could never. But I ended up in the middle of some skater night tour and well it went something like this. 

                                             


Me? I found a quiet place to enjoy the Christmas lights and people in their Ugly Christmas sweaters. Then I taught myself how to use a Uber scooter and after a couple twirls around the block, I headed home. I did all this without the fear of being attacked and wasn't. So it wasn't that bad after all.



Although it was a couple weeks before Christmas, the spirit could be felt in the air. And as commercial as it seems, there is actually a little bit for all to enjoy. You just have to know where to find it. Up next, A Palmy Christmas.



0 comments