When a photographer celebrates Valentines Day

It's officially a year since moving to New Zealand and a lot has changed. Not just around me but in me. For starters, I now refer to myself as a photographer. I figure, I get paid to do it now, so why not? But honestly, there is so much more to learn. Right before coming to New Zealand, I started a new IG page inspired by one of my series here on the blog - The Travelling Nutmeg. I used it challenge my photography skills by only using my phone camera - Samsung's A50. This meant relying on angles and aesthetics and it really pushed me. I actually saw a huge difference when using my DSLR. Then I dropped my phone one too many times and needed my DSLR to continue the account. Around that time, I got my first gig and now felt confidence to put myself out there.


I wish the same could be said about my love life. But one year later and I'm still single. I will say that I didn't spend the day alone nor was it by design. But similarly to last year's escapade, it was all God's doing and I couldn't have planned it any better.

On Galentine's (February 13th), I spent a long day at work surrounded by amazing food that I couldn't eat. My friends tease me about the fact that I change my diets like people change clothes but they aren't lying. It was definitely a lack of foresight to give up dairy and sweets around Valentines but it was too late to change that now. Those profiteroles looked real good and my workmates were sure to let me know how good they taste too.

Finally I headed for a much needed domestic top up at The Warehouse, which I guess is New Zealand's version of a Walmart or Target but still very Kiwi in its own right. It's more than just the gumboots. There is such a distinctive practicality to this franchise that you don't even feel guilty for spending money there. Whereas you leave Target wondering why on earth you bought a star studded coin holder, you get home from The Warehouse still thinking about that polyester table mat you saw on Aisle 3.


To cure some of that, we spent quite a while in the kids section, imagining childhood costume parties that never happened and translating American games. Now I'm filled with questions. Like why did "Uno" see the need to launch a "Dos" card pack with the same rules that we illegally use in the first? Why does "Bop It" need a solo version? And why did they take so long to turn "Guess Who" into a card game? Brilliant!


We then trotted over to the gardening section because I have not killed enough succulents and need just a wee bit more practice. With Autumn and Winter right around the corner, at least I have some excuses already lined up. But seriously, something is wrong with my  new room because mould is attacking my baby succulents and they are probably not going to last two more days. Sometimes the grass is just greener on the other side and it's easier to enjoy someone else's blooms.

We may have spent some time in the makeup section but no need to dwell on that

Fast forward to V-day which started at church hanging out with the tribe and just sharing some good agape love. Vision Church Palmerston North is a wonderful place to foster those kind of relationships and it's a relief to find such a safe space. 


We then hung out a bit at our connect group leader's place where I was finally introduced to Sadza. My, my, what a new meaning to the phrase finger food. I totally forgot to take pictures because that food was  sweet. So Sadza is the unseasoned, stove top version of Cou-Cou which is served with tomato stew, greens and some saucy meat. Unlike cou-cou which is eaten on its own and requires coconut milk, ochro and the like, sadza is bread to gravy. It cups the food in each pocket and release undhindered, unadulterated flavour to your tastebuds. Like wow. Guaranteed ethnic fatigue loading.


Then God showed up to surprise me as usual. I drove for the first time in New Zealand unto my very own avenue. It reminds me of the time I was in transit in the UK, on my way back from study and found a Rennie brand of chewing gum.  But a whole avenue. I felt blessed, like I was right where I was supposed to be.


For an self professed introvert, I had more energy that day than I will like admit. Because some how I ended up at a Nigerian going away party, shoveling jollof in containers like a meme coming to life. There were some other memes and tik toks that suddenly received context and my laughs will forever be guttural whenever I next see them. 





Most importantly, I saw my sister loved on and praised and encouraged. I saw life being celebrated before being taken away. I saw someone empowered to make a difference in her community by her obedience. I saw the end of a journey and was inspired to finish mine.

I also saw a box of plantains under the sofa. And thanks to my other sister, left with two grains in hand. For me, that was the cherry on top of the most beautifully ordained day. I'm so grateful when God plans and I exist. Suddenly, I'm not the photographer because I hold the camera but because I'm a vessel of His light. And that's enough for me.

0 comments